Zucchini and eggplant take the place of pasta in this delicious gluten free summery fresh lasagna ...goes great with a chilled Rose’.
- 1/4 cup Queen Creek Olive Mill Balanced Extra Virgin Olive Oil (more for the prep of the baking dish)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 10-12 fresh basil leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 3 medium zucchinis, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly brush a medium baking dish with oil.
- Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat. Mix the onion, red bell pepper, carrots, garlic and pine nuts and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce into the skillet. Season with oregano, basil, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- In the bottom of the prepared baking dish, layer the zucchini strips. In a bowl, beat together the ricotta cheese and egg, and spread over the zucchini. Scoop 1/2 veggie mixture over the ricotta cheese and egg mixture, and sprinkle with 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Layer with the eggplant, veggie mixture, and mozzarella. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow to sit 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Other recipes you might like