Just a bit of heat with a drizzle of fresh olive oil finishes this hearty soup.
- 2 tablespoons Queen Creek Olive Mill Balanced Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Use Jalapeno Olive Oil for some extra spice)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 1 rounded tablespoon)
- 1 sprig of fresh chopped parsley
- 5 large fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh chopped oregano
- Small sprig of fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (about 15 ounces)
- 2 cans (about 15 ounces each) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted, plus more for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and fresh herbs and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, beans and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until beans are heated through about 10 minutes; let cool 10 minutes.
- Using a stick blender add some of the pine nuts and process until beans are coarsely chopped but not pureed (do not over process). Season with salt and pepper and rewarm in pot. Divide soup among 4 bowls and serve with remaining pine nuts, avocado, and finish with Parmesan cheese.
Other recipes you might like